It only takes one experience, one mentor who believes in you, one role model to change the trajectory of a life. A girl goes from believing she can’t to realizing that she can in one powerful moment. SHINE for Girls is designed to give girls that chance for such a moment.
BECOMING A SHINE MENTOR
SHINE mentors are local high school or college women who have qualified based on their math background, tutoring experience, dance experience, attitude and enthusiasm, and the results of a background check. The mentor training involves a customized online certification system along with a half-day mentor training session.
- Training in working with young girls and teaching math and dance
- The opportunity to give back to their local communities and advocate for women in STEM
- Hands-on experience in the service sector
- Leadership opportunities at a young age
- A space to enhance their own skills through teaching and channel their own creativity
- Access to a national network of women in STEM
- The possibility of pursuing multi-faceted SHINE for Girls work through our quickly growing national nonprofit during the summers
- Recommendations and referrals for internships, colleges, and graduate schools